Saturday, May 17, 2014

Register for the Fine China

In October, my husband and I will celebrate nine years of marriage. October 29 to be exact. October 29 happens to also be my dad's birthday and the day my mom died. It's a weird, feely, don't really know what to do with it kind of day. 

My mom was a floater, a nomad, an afraid to put down roots kind of gal. I'm pretty sure this is why I am the complete opposite. I crave what some see as mundane. I like having dinner on the table for my family. I like working in the garden on Saturdays. I try to nurture my relationships- many of my friends have been in my life since I was a girl, and I try to love more recently found friends with the same appreciation. I love routine, traditions, roots. 

Ten years ago, when many of my friends were getting married, we started wedding gift registries- toaster, the go to Kitchenaid Mixer, a random cheese board for ALL of the cheeses we so often snack on, fine china and crystal goblets... By the time the blessed day rolled around, the we could totally host High Tea for all of our buddies. Thousands of dollars worth of fine dinner plates, bread plates, saucers and gravy boats. That most of us will probably leave in the boxes or use once a year at Thanksgiving. 

Fast forward to this morning. My 4 year old daughter was watching me dust the china and crystal... And she asked what it was... And I got to tell her stories about mommy and daddy's wedding and stories about the people we love who gifted these things to us. And my heart was full, because in these saucers and goblets are the stories of US. 

One day I will give it all to her, and I hope she feels her roots in them wherever she may be in life. If something were to happen, and it were all gone, no problem. I get it. They are things. But for now, as a girl who wasn't  given many opportunities to plant roots, I'm so very glad I registered for the Fine China. 

No comments:

Post a Comment